Restorative Dentistry

Biocompatible Dentistry

Biocompatible dentistry is the practice of recognizing the impact of toxic substances that are used in dentistry.

Biocompatible dentistry is concerned with the health and integrity of the oral cavity and uses materials and procedures that are compatible with the human body.

Most patients do not realize that traditional amalgam fillings consist of up to 50% mercury! In large fillings the amount of mercury can be compared to what would be found in a thermometer!

Mercury, a powerful poison, can easily vaporize at room temperature. It is odorless, tasteless and colorless! This inhaled mercury can easily enter the bloodstream. Research has shown that it is more toxic than lead, cadmium or arsenic and can cause brain damage similar to that of Alzheimer's victims.

This vapor is continuously emitted from fillings and builds up in the body over time. Effects can stay for years or even decades. Even low levels of mercury can cause measurable health damage!

In addition, when these fillings are removed, the drill used to remove them creates high temperatures, causing the release of much mercury vapor. In these instances, the biocompatible dentists will work together with physicians and the latest technology to ensure that the patient does not inhale such vapors.

In addition, when there are several different metals in the mouth, even though the body may not be allergic to each one individually, the interactions between them may lead to allergic reactions.

We can test for such interactions between metals using the 'DMA Meter'

DMA Meter & Metal Interactions

 




Back